Saturday, September 11, 2010

Green Tomatoes!!!!

With our 6 plants my hubby planted this year we STILL have green tomatoes popping up in our garden.  So, last week I decided to make a recipe that I shared the page with in the Fall 2010 edition of ACRES magazine.  See my Welcome! blog entry for more information on that. :)

The recipe was submitted by a lady named, Lucy Martin, from Dundee, New York.  The orginal recipe called for 3 Cups of all-purpose flour and 2 cups sugar BUT like usual I don't follow directions very well and I made a few changes. 


I should also mention....I made the bread again today (picture below) and I "weight watched" it a tad by simply substituting applesauce for the oil.  It wasn't quite as moist, but it did save a HUGE amount of calories and fat.  The substitution saved 152 calories and 18 grams of fat PER SERVING - WOW!!!!  Totally worth it in my book.  :)  From 9 WW points down the 5 WW points per serving!!!  Amazing!


GREEN TOMATO BREAD


 
INGREDIENTS

1 Cup All-Purpose Flour
2 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
1 Cup white granulated sugar
1 Cup light brown sugar
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 eggs, beaten
1 cup canola oil (or light olive oil)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 Cups finely chopped green tomatoes
1 1/2 Cups chopped pecans (optional)

DIRECTIONS
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.  Set aside.
  3. In another bowl combine eggs, oil, vanilla, green tomatoes, and pecans.  Add egg mixture all at once to dry mixture.  Stir just until moistened.  Batter will be thick, and lumps will remain.
  4. Spoon batter into a greased 9x5 inch loaf pan.  Bake for approximately 1 hour and 10 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
SERVES 12

NOTE:  You could also make this into muffins (my favorite because it is portion controlled) or mini loaves.  You will just need to decrease the cooking time down to 30 - 40 minutes.

No comments: