Sunday, September 19, 2010

Blueberry Updside Down Corn Cakes

This recipe was from another food blog I came across here at Blogger.  I love this lady's blog....so if you are a foodie blog lover you should check it out at http://www.messycook.blogspot.com/. She is also an official contestant in Project Food Blog...so you should totally go vote for her. :)


Okay, my review of her recipe....the cake was a dense cake, but not in a dry and heavy way.  It had a nice crumb and wasn't too overly sweet, which I appreciated.  It had a nice light flavor due to the lemon zest and the sweetness of the blueberries.

When I saw this recipe I was excited because it took me out of the pineapple box and pretty much just opened up the entire world of upside-down cakes for me....I can't wait to try out other fruits and flavor combinations!  Also, I did not have fresh blueberries so I used frozen unsweetened.....so just because the summer berry season is coming to an end....there is no excuses not to try this recipe out.  :)



How cute are these?



Mmmmm.....Blueberry Upside-Down Corn Cakes


INGREDIENTS

2T butter, melted
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup honey
2 eggs
3/4 cup plain yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
Grated zest of one lemon
1 cup flour (I used whole wheat)
1/2 cup fine cornmeal
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease the cups of a 6-cup jumbo muffin tin.
In a small bowl, combine butter, brown sugar and blueberries.  Spread the mixture evenly amound each muffin tin.

In a large bowl, whish together olive oil, honey, eggs, yogurt, vanilla and lemon zest.

In a seperate bowl stir together the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt. 

Gradually beat the dry mixture into the wet ingredients, stirring just to combine.

Pour approximately 1/4 cup of batter on top of the blueberries into each muffin cup.

Bake for approximately 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out with a moist crumb.

Place the pan on a wire rack to cool for approximately 15 minutes.  Once the cakes are cooled, run a knife along the edges of each cup to loosen, then very carefully invert onto baking pan. Spoon any berries left in the tins over the cakes.

Enjoy!
 





1 comment:

Isabelle said...

Hey Jessy, I'm so glad you loved this recipe and that it turned out for you! I think this was one of my favourites so far this year.
BTW, I know you were concerned about stepping on toes and such, but please feel free to post recipes from my blog whenever you like.
It really makes my day when I find out someone not only tried one of my recipes, but actually liked it enough to pass it on. So thanks... you made my day. :)