Sunday, September 26, 2010

Beer Muffins


Yes, I said BEER Muffins!  Well, really it is beer bread, but you know how I am about the servability of muffins. :)

More than anything, I'm here to ask you a question.  Please please please STOP spending your money on those wonderfully overpriced beer bread mixes that every in-home party company is selling these days.  It is so super simple to make your own.  I do highly suggest using a good beer, but just a good ole' can of Bud Light will work just fine.  Play around with the types of beer for different flavors.  Some of my favorites for this time of year are Samuel Adams Octoberfest or Blue Moon Pumpkin Ale.  I haven't tried this, but if you live in the St. Louis area and come across some Schafly Oatmeal Stout try it out for me, would ya?  This almost black beer I bet would make some really wonderful bread!!!

WARNING:  If you are not a beer drinker you may not like these muffins.  The yeasty beer flavor really does shine through.  However, don't be too afraid...it's nothing that a creamy pat of butter can't tone down.



So, here is the most basic of recipes and how I've baked mine today.  It is only three ingredients.  Here is what you will need:

Please Note: If you don't have self-rising flour you can use 3 cups of all-purpose flour (or whole wheat flour) mixed with 4-1/2 tsp. baking powder and 1-1/2 tsp. salt

BASIC BEER BREAD

3 cups self-rising flour (you can also use Bisquick)
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 - 12oz. beer


DIRECTIONS

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Mix together ingredients in a large bowl with a wooden spoon.  If needed, finish incorporating the flour into the dough with your hands.  DON'T PANIC!  The batter will be sticky.  It helps to either have damp hands or spray your hands with cooking spray before handling the dough.

When combined; pour dough into a greased 9x5 loaf pan (or 1/4 cup each into 12 cup muffins tins).  Bake for approximately 50-60 minutes (or 20-25 minutes).  To help brown the tops, brush with an egg wash prior to placing in the oven.

VARIATIONS:
  • Add 1/2 cup shredded cheese and herbs of your choice
  • Use brown sugar instead of white
  • Add dried fruit or nuts

2 comments:

Anele said...

You're kidding, is it SERIOUSLY that easy!??!?! I love the one from Tastefully Simple, it is the best one I've ever had and I would love to find a cheap version that tastes the same. I'll be giving this one a go since I have all of the ingredients. Can I do it as a loaf too?

Anele said...

Never mind, I just saw you said loaf pan, ERT.