Sunday, September 26, 2010

Peanut Butter Banana Muffins

I'm a fan of muffins...that is no secret.  I usually make some sort of muffin almost every weekend.  I pack them in my son's lunchbox, I sometimes have them as a quick breakfast or take one along to work for my afternoon snack.  I mainly use quick bread type recipes, but I decrease the cooking time by about half.  I love that muffins are a single serving.  I could bake 12 muffins and easily only eat one.  I couldn't bake one loaf of bread and easily eat only one slice.  Why is that?  They also freeze easily which keep me from eating them all and when packed in my son's lunch they are perfectly thawed by lunch time.  :)


Here is the latest recipe I found in the October 2010 edition of Cooking Light magazine.  The only change I made was that I used whole wheat flour and only used 2T of butter (because that is all I had left).  They still turned out fabulous!


PEANUT BUTTER BANANA MUFFINS

 INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 cups mashed ripe banana
1/3 cup plain fat-free yogurt
1/3 cup creamy peanut butter
3 T butter, melted
2 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
6.75 oz. all-purpose flour (about 1 1/2 cups)
                                                       1/4 cup ground flaxseed
                                                       3/4 teaspoon baking soda
                                                       1/2 teaspoon salt
                                                       1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
                                                       1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
                                                       2 T chopped dry-roasted peanuts

GLAZE (mix together and set aside)
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1 T 1% low fat milk
1 T creamy peanut butter

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  To prepare muffins, combine first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; beat with mixer at medium speed.  Add granulated and brown sugars; beat until blended.

Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with knife.  Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through allspice) into a small bowl.  Add flour mixture to banana mixture; beat just until blended.  Stir in nuts.

Pour batter into a greased 12 cup muffin tin (1/4 cup per tin).  Bake for 30-32 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Remove from oven; cool at least 10 minutes.  Spread glaze over muffins.


NUTRITION FACTS (1 muffin):  Calories: 198 Fat: 7.4g Protein: 4.7g Carbs: 29.7g Fiber: 1.9g Chol: 28mg Iron: 1.1mg Sodium: 200 mg

No comments: