Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Weeknight Wonder: Spaghetti Squash

It's Tuesday and that means it's just me and the boys for dinner.  Tonight the plan was to make Pumpkin Muffins (pumpkin flavors are my craving this week), the boys were gonna have PBJ and I was gonna heat up some leftover Taco Soup.  Well, I ran into the grocery store for canned pumpkin...what the heck was there a recall I didn't hear about???  The entire shelf was empty!  Oh well....I guess someone else must have been craving Pumpkin Muffins too. :) 

Anyway....while I was there, I ran into the cutest little spaghetti squash and decided that he was coming home with me and THAT is what I was having for dinner.  I love, love, love spaghetti squash and it's that time of year again!  Yay!  These little guys were also the smallest spaghetti squash I've ever seen and perfect for my one serving meal tonight.  Double Yay!

First, let me show you the easiest way to prepare it and from there....the possiblities are endless!

Step 1 - Cut the squash in half lengthwise.
Step 2 - Scoop out seeds from both sides.
Step 3 - Season with salt and pepper and place cut side down in a shallow baking dish.
Step 4 - Place 1/4 cup water in baking dish, cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 8 - 10 minutes.
Step 5 - Squash is done when you drag a fork through it and the spaghetti squash strands simply pull away. 


Step 2
Step 3







Step 5
 
 

SUPER SIMPLE, right?  It is wonderful as is with just a drizzle of olive oil and a little salt and pepper, but honestly the possiblities are endless.  As winter approaches I'm fairly certain I will be posting several recipes using this healthy, affordable, and delicious winter squash.  Here is what I made tonight:

Spaghetti Squash w/ Brown Butter Scallops & Peas




INGREDIENTS

6 oz. spaghetti squash, cooked (approximately 1 1/2 cups)
4 oz. package of frozen baby scallops
1 T butter (do not substitute with margarine)
2 T frozen baby peas
dash of cayenne pepper
salt & black pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS

In a skillet brown butter on med-high heat for approximately 4 minutes or until butter has turned a nice golden brown and has a nutty flavor.  Toss in frozen scallops and peas.  Saute for approximately 4 minutes or until scallops are cooked and peas are warmed through.  (Do not overcook the scallops or they will become chewy).  Add in cooked spaghetti squash and toss together.  Season with cayenne pepper, salt, and black pepper to taste.  Enjoy!

PLEASE NOTE:  This meal was also SUPER affordable.  I get the little 4oz. packages of scallops for $1 at Dierbergs during their 10 for $10 sales.  The squash I picked up for only 55 cents and the rest of the ingredients were just staples that probaby didn't cost more than 25 cents.  Which means that I prepared a healthy meal in under 10 minutes for under $2.  Try and find that on some value menu somewhere...I dare ya! :)


3 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds delicious!!

Jessica Grodzicki said...

Actually, a couple months ago I heard that the pumpkin harvest was REALLY low or something like that. And they said that canned pumpkin would be very hard to find this year! :(

Troy Produce said...

WHAT? NO pumpkin this year??? You just ruined the entire rest of my year!!! Haha!