Monday, September 6, 2010

Weeknight Wonder: Brown Butter Tortellini with Spinach & Ham

WEEKNIGHT WONDERS for me are meals that I can prepare and have ready on the table in about 15 or 20 minutes. This recipe is from the Pampered Chef cookbook, 29 minutes to Dinner. It's simple, fast and kid-friendly. A few things I may do different next time would be to add a few red pepper flakes to the butter for a little heat. Although, then it may not be so kid friendly?


This recipe serves 6.


INGREDIENTS

1 - 20 oz. package of refrigerated or frozen cheese-filled tortellini
1 - 6 oz. package of fresh baby spinach leaves
1 - 8 oz. piece of cooked ham steak, cubed
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1/4 Cup (or a 1/2 stick) of butter (DO NOT substitute margarine)
Coarsely ground black pepper (optional)

DIRECTIONS


  1. In a stock pot bring salted water to a boil and cook tortellini according to package directions.
  2. Add butter to a 10-12 inch skillet over medium heat. Heat 5-7 minutes or until butter is a deep brown color. Occasionally swirling skillet.
  3. As tortellini cook and butter browns, place spinach into a large colander. Dice ham and red pepper.
  4. When butter is brown immediately add bell pepper and reduce the heat to low.
  5. When tortellini is tender, drain over the spinach.
  6. To the skillet add ham, spinach, and tortellini. Toss to coat.
  7. Season with coarsely ground black pepper (optional).

3 comments:

Jessica Grodzicki said...

Sounds yummy, I may just have to try this one - I loooove easy recipes that don't require the use of ingredients I don't usually play with ;)

Anele said...

I say add the flakes. Don't want the kids to go into life with an "old man" palate! ;)

Patty H. said...

This looks so good, and I love the fact that it's quick and easy. I've only made a few recipes with tortellini, but I bet my family would like this one!