Sunday, December 5, 2010

Pecan Pie

I recently saw Aaron Sanchez on Food Network make a Pecan Pie with one of my most favorite ingredients...Agave Nectar!  So, today seemed like a perfect day to try it out.  Oh, and don't judge....because yes I've already had dessert and I haven't ate my dinner. :)

I should also note, that if you clicked on the link to Aaron's recipe you would see that he made his own pie crust and also used orange zest.  I took the short cut with the crust (thanks Pillsbury!) and orange zest in pecan pie just sounds strange.  I also only had dark brown sugar and realized after filling my pie that my pie plate is a deep dish and a little oversized for this particular recipe.  So, I add more pecans and even decided to get a little rustic with the style of my edges.  It didn't look the greatest, but it still tasted good!  So...here is my adapted recipe.

PECAN PIE

Ingredients

  • 1 9-inch refrigerated pie crust
  • 3/4 stick unsalted butter (I used my homemade butter)
  • 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar, packed
  • 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup agave nectar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 cups pecan halves (1/2 pound)

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F with a baking sheet on the middle rack.


Prepare pie plate with the refrigerated pie crust by rolling it into a 9-inch pie plate and trim the edge, leaving 1/2-inch overhang. Fold the overhang under and lightly press against rim of pie plate, then crimp decoratively.

 Lightly prick the bottom all over with a fork.

Chill until firm, at least 30 minutes (or freeze for 15 minutes).


Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small, heavy saucepan over medium heat. Add the brown sugar, whisking until smooth. Remove from the heat and whisk in the vanilla, salt, and agave nectar. Lightly beat the eggs in a medium bowl, then whisk in the butter and brown sugar mixture.


Put the pecans into the pie shell and pour the butter and brown sugar mixture evenly over them.



Place on the hot baking sheet and bake until the filling is set, 50 minutes to 1 hour. Cool for at least 1 hour before slicing and serving.

I didn't wait an hour and mine was still a little runny.....I have no patience when it comes to letting my food cool :)

No comments: